The Manse ~ Edisto Island, South Carolina
Warning: Use of undefined constant gad_content_tag_filter_replace - assumed 'gad_content_tag_filter_replace' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /home/dx87kwtjkt0i/public_html/wp-content/plugins/web-ninja-google-analytics/webninja_ga.php on line 1813
Presbyterian Manse of Edisto
Edisto Island, South Carolina
A Special Thanks To Mr. Craig Williams
The stately home facing Store Creek on Edisto Island, SC has served as the manse for the Presbyterian Church On Edisto Island since the late 18th century.
it was founded shortly after Royal Governor Joseph Morton settled on the island in 1680.
The land for the manse was donated to the Church by Henry Bowers in 1717.
Its only ornamentation is the four-pane transom over the entrance; all other features are purely functional.
The interior consists of four rooms on each floor, which are divided symmetrically by a central hallway.
The balance of windows also contributed to the movement of salty air through the house, serving as a natural air conditioner.
It is the oldest structure on the island associated with a church.
The Presbyterian Manse is listed in The National Register.
Text Courtesy of SC Picture Project