Skip to content

Okefenokee Swamp National Wildlife Refuge – Eastern Entrance – Folkston, Georgia


Warning: Use of undefined constant gad_content_tag_filter_replace - assumed 'gad_content_tag_filter_replace' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /nfs/c07/h01/mnt/111133/domains/bigdawgimages.net/html/wp-content/plugins/web-ninja-google-analytics/webninja_ga.php on line 1813

This side of the Refuge is the main entrance, the site of the admin offices and the maintenance facility. The Feds have a huge presence here while the western entrance and Stephen C Foster State Park was purview of the Georgia State folks. The Refuge burnt recently, both sides, with the 2011 fire originating with a lightning strike at Honey Island near the State Park. The eastern side of the Refuge lost its boardwalk to the fire but seems to have rebounded. The western side of the Refuge seemed to be dominated by the Suwanee River which drains 90% of the water from the swamp. Lots of river channels and river current heading for the Suwanee. The St Mary’s River on the southeastern side takes the other 10%. The eastern side is home to green swamp prairies. All the water in the swamp comes out of the sky.

Okefenokee Pastimes, just across the road from the Refuge entrance, is a great place to stay. Check it out. Nice people, nice property – felt like a neighborhood.

Categories: Uncategorized
Posted by bigdawg on March 20, 2012

Leave a comment

Note: HTML is allowed. Your email address will never be published.

Comments Feed

required
required